Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Tagged for 7

Though I was thinking that I should take advantage of the fact that our little puppy is not at my lap while I'm typing, I wasn't really planning on posting a meme. However, Chrissie tagged me so here I go - I figure I better do it quick, or it will be even more difficult to find people to tag that haven't already been tagged by others :-)

Apparently this meme is about 7 random things about myself with 5 rules to follow doing this:

  1. You've got to link to the blog of the person who tagged you
  2. You need to post these rules on your blog
  3. You have to list seven random and/or weird facts about yourself
  4. By the end of your post you have to tag 7 random people and include links to their posts (do I sense some sort of advertising purpose - i.e. spreading the word of the host of blogs available to dedicated readers and writers - of this meme? ;-))
  5. You have to let the people you tag know that they have been tagged by posting a comment on their blog
Alright, rules set, and now Nemo made a jump into my lap - she seems to have a need to be tugged in - so I better get down to business:
  1. I am not very good at prioritising my time for regular postings on my blog, hence my participation in NaBloPoMo is probably never going to happen :-)
  2. I am now officially a PhD-student at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland - or so it seems, yet I cannot help wondering when new administrative and/or bureaucratic issues concerning this will show up whether from Scotland or from Denmark ;-)
  3. Starting this Monday and 2 weeks ahead, Jimmi and I have no kitchen, which makes storing as well as cooking of decent food a challenge (did anyone say Nemo? :-))
  4. I have a thing with high blood sugars! I don't like seeing high numbers on my meter, which sometimes makes me take actions that will get me into trouble later. I am trying hard to limit myself in this context, but it is hard
  5. Yesterday I experienced my first bad site with a site change. I was a my parents because I had business to do in my hometown, and like I alway do I changed my infusion site in the morning. My fasting BG was 3.1 (56), and breakfast was a little lighter than usually, because I had plans to go visit my grandparents a couple of hours later, probably going to have a little something to eat there. When I got there I tested and found myself at 15.5 (279). I found that quite odd giving the low fasting value and light breakfast, so I did think about a possible bad site. However, I had just been to the dentist, and while I like my dentist very much (that is one of the reasons why I haven't found one here in Odense yet) and usually don't have any dental problems, I have a very hard time coping with the high-frequency spinning noice of her instruments used to remove the tartar. Therefore, I was also considering a possible stress-effect. I corrected the high, both with the pump and a small bolus by pen, just to be on the safe side, yet 90 min. later when I had just boarded the train back to Odense, I clocked in at 20.4 (367). I cannot remember the last time I saw a number like that, but it convinced me that something was not right with the new site. I don't usually remove my old site until I am sure that the new one is working, so I hooked back up to the old site and entered a bolus to "flush" it. I took a larger correction by pen, and by the time I reached Odense I could see that at least I wasn't rising anymore. I was 19.3 (347). After the bike ride home I felt quite exhaused and figured that it was probably the hours of ridiculously high sugars now taking effect, but it turned out that the corrections were now finally working and I was actually going low. Just an hour after being 19.3 I was 68! When I removed the bad infusion set I could see that the catheter was bend at a 90 degrees angel, so no wonder the insulin didn't seem to work!
  6. I tend to have a rather messy workplace, both at home and in the lab. However, I usually know where to find the things I need, and so even if it might seem chaotic to other people, I am on top of it :-)
  7. I need to take Nemo for her late night walk now, so I gotta stop now :-)
I tag Doris, Scott, Adjoa, Super G, Kathy, Sandra, and Aliya. I don't know if any of you have already been tagged, or if you want to take part, so don't feel obliged to do it :-)

4 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Thanks Heidi! I'll get something posted as soon as I can.

I hate bad infusion sites. I'm sure you felt pretty worn out by all of that! Hope you're feeling better!

Very smart to keep that old site on until you're sure the new one is working...

Minnesota Nice said...

Thanks for tagging me, Heidi.

Sandra Miller said...

Heidi, thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog-- and for the tag.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.