For the first time in my 16+ years of diabetes I have experienced insulin going bad. In my previous post, I talked about unusually high BG-levels of last weekend that appeared only to be lowered when using my insulin pen for correction boluses. I ended up concluding that it must be due to lacking effect of the insulin sitting in my pump, as nothing was wrong with the tubing or the sites that I pulled out on Sunday and again on Monday.
When I got back from work Monday evening, I changed infusion set - though I had just done that the day before, and the site turned out to be okay - and switched to a fresh vial of insulin. That helped! The last few days, BG has been more manageable, although the heat still does a lot to mess with my levels. Although it is against all I have ever been instructed to do, I have refrigerated the newly opened vial of insulin (I have always been told NEVER to refrigerate opened vials or pens of insulin). I figured that while having this warm summer weather this may be needed if I am not to through out half-used vials again.